Welcome to Jingsonh Chen Law Office


   Home Page (English)
    Hot Topics


   EB1A-Extraordinary Ability
   EB1B-Outstanding Worker
   EB2-Advanced Degrees
   EB3-Skilled Workers
   EB4-Religious Workers
   PERM (Labor Certification)

Various Non-
   Immigration Visa

   F1/F2-Student Visa
   H1B-Working Visa
   L-Three Years Visa
   O-Employment Visa
   K-Fiance Visas
   M-International Students
   Citizenship application
   Citizenship examination
   Citizenship exam (seniors)

Immigration Court 
   Appearing/Bail Bond

   Court appearing needs

U.S. Citizenship Applications

Naturalization is the process by which U.S. citizenship is conferred upon a foreign citizen or national after he or she fulfills the requirements established by Congress in the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

The Right to Vote-One of the Basic Benefits of a US CitizenBe a part of democracy - One of the basic rights you have as a U.S. citizen is the right to vote. Guarantee yourself this right so you have a say in how you want your country governed. Citizenship benefits include the privilege to participate in government by electing those who create and debate the laws.

2. Citizenship Benefits-Help with Reuniting Families: Help your relatives-This is one of the best benefits of a US citizen: you can help certain relatives obtain their Visa without extended delays. Every year, the U.S. normally limits the number of Visas issued in each family category. This means that the waiting time for a Visa depends on who your relative is, and can be long and uncertain. However, some relatives get to enjoy the citizenship benefits of U.S. citizens if they're considered "immediate relatives": spouses, parents and minor, unmarried children. For these relatives, there is no limit to the number of Visas issued each year. There are also other privileges that immediate relatives have that may make it easier for them to get permanent residence in the U.S.

3. Protecting Your Children's Right to Remain in the U.S.: Extend the benefits of becoming a U.S. citizen to your children - Permanent resident children under the age of eighteen, who are in the lawful legal and physical custody of their naturalizing parent/s, automatically become U.S. citizens when their parent/s become naturalized. 

4. In Cases Involving Illegal Activity: Protect yourself - Everyone in this country shares the duty to follow the laws. However, there are many benefits to being a citizen in the event you are accused of any illegal activity. As a permanent resident, you remain within the authority of the U.S. of Citizenship and Immigration Services (formerly known as the INS) and the Immigration Courts and can be removed (or deported) for such activity. As a citizen, you have the right to an attorney and a fair trial without being deported. 

5. Travel Issues: Eliminate travel hassles - Are you concerned with leaving and re-entering the country? As a U.S. citizen, you are not restricted on the time you can spend outside of the U.S. Permanent residents can lose their status if they leave the country for 180 days or longer. For extended absences, permanent residents must obtain a re-entry permit. As a U.S. citizen, you can skip this process and live abroad without jeopardizing your citizenship status. Travel is also more convenient because many countries do not require visas of U.S. citizens.

The general requirements for administrative naturalization include:

                 a period of continuous residence and physical presence in the United States ;

                 residence in a particular USCIS District prior to filing;

                 an ability to read, write, and speak English;

                 a knowledge and understanding of U.S. history and government;

                 good moral character;

                 attachment to the principles of the U.S. Constitution; and,

                 favorable disposition toward the United States .

Note: Recent changes in immigration law and USCIS procedures now make it easier for U.S. military personnel to naturalize (see Naturalization Information for Military Personnel).

All naturalization applicants must demonstrate good moral character, attachment, and favorable disposition. The other naturalization requirements may be modified or waived for certain applicants, such as spouses of U.S. citizens. Applicants should review the materials listed under "Related Links" and carefully read the N-400 application instructions before applying.

Applicants must be at least 18 years old.
Refer to the section, Naturalized Citizen's Children under Waivers, Exceptions, and Special Cases for information on applicants who are less than 18 years old.
See Also INA 334

An applicant must have been lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence. Lawfully admitted for permanent residence means having been legally accorded the privilege of residing permanently in the United States as an immigrant in accordance with the immigration laws. Individuals who have been lawfully admitted as permanent residents will be asked to produce an I-551, Alien Registration Receipt Card, as proof of their status.

Residence and Physical Presence
An applicant is eligible to file if, immediately preceding the filing of the application, he or she:

         has been lawfully admitted for permanent residence (see preceding section);

         has resided continuously as a lawful permanent resident in the U.S. for at least 5 years prior to filing with no single absence from the United States of more than one year;

         has been physically present in the United States for at least 30 months out of the previous five years (absences of more than six months but less than one year shall disrupt the applicant's continuity of residence unless the applicant can establish that he or she did not abandon his or her residence during such period)
has resided within a state or district for at least three months 

Applicants for naturalization must be able to read, write, speak, and understand words in ordinary usage in the English language. Applicants exempt from this requirement are those who on the date of filing:

         have been residing in the United States subsequent to a lawful admission for permanent residence for periods totaling 15 years or more and are over 55 years of age;

         have been residing in the United States subsequent to a lawful admission for permanent residence for periods totaling 20 years or more and are over 50 years of age; or

         have a medically determinable physical or mental impairment, where the impairment affects the applicants ability to learn English.

United States Government and History Knowledge
An applicant for naturalization must demonstrate a knowledge and understanding of the fundamentals of the history and of the principles and form of government of the United States . Applicants exempt from this requirement are those who, on the date of filing, have a medically determinable physical or mental impairment, where the impairment affects the applicants ability to learn U.S. History and Government
Applicants who have been residing in the U.S. subsequent to a lawful admission for permanent residence for at least 20 years and are over the age of 65 will be afforded special consideration in satisfying this requirement.

Oath of Allegiance
To become a citizen, one must take the oath of allegiance. By doing so, an applicant swears to:

         support the Constitution and obey the laws of the U.S. ;

         renounce any foreign allegiance and/or foreign title; and

         bear arms for the Armed Forces of the U.S. or perform services for the government of the U.S. when required.

         In certain instances, where the applicant establishes that he or she is opposed to any type of service in armed forces based on religious teaching or belief, CIS will permit these applicants to take a modified oath.

The naturalization process takes time. The swearing-in ceremony for receiving the naturalization certificate will take place from 1 to 180 days after the interview, although in a few CIS district offices, it can take another 1 or 2 years.

Submitting application

  • Complete your application to become a U.S. citizen using the USCitizenship.info system

  • Get two professional passport photographs taken of yourself

  • Collect all the documents described in the instructions given to you by our system. Make sure all documents provided by USCitizenship.info are completed to ensure that the naturalization process goes smoothly with no interruptions.


  • Receive an appointment letter from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (formerly known as the INS)

  • Go to the fingerprinting location specified on the letter 

  • Get your fingerprints taken 

  • Mail any additional documents to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (formerly known as the INS) if requested, along with your application 

  • Wait for US Citizenship and Immigration Services (formerly known as the INS) to schedule your interview

Being interviewed

  • Receive an appointment for your interview from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (formerly known as the INS) 

  • Go to your local office at the specified time

  • Bring identification and provide any additional documents the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (formerly known as the INS) has requested of you

  • Answer questions about your application and background 

  • Take the English and civics tests (You will receive 100 FREE sample questions with answers when you purchase our service!) 

  • Receive a decision from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

Taking oath

  • Receive a ceremony date from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (formerly known as the INS) 

  • Check in at the ceremony

  • Return your permanent resident card

  • Answer questions about what you have done since your interview

  • Take the naturalization oath 

  • Receive your Certificate of Naturalization

Good Moral Character

An applicant is permanently barred from naturalization if he or she has ever been convicted of murder. An applicant is also permanently barred from naturalization if he or she has been convicted of an aggravated felony as defined in section 101(a)(43) of the Act on or after November 29, 1990. A person also cannot be found to be a person of good moral character if during the last five years he or she:

  1. has committed and been convicted of one or more crimes involving moral turpitude

  2. has committed and been convicted of 2 or more offenses for which the total sentence imposed was 5 years or more

  3. has committed and been convicted of any controlled substance law, except for a single offense of simple possession of 30 grams or less of marijuana

  4. has been confined to a penal institution during the statutory period, as a result of a conviction, for an aggregate period of 180 days or more

  5. has committed and been convicted of two or more gambling offenses

  6. is or has earned his or her principle income from illegal gambling

  7. is or has been involved in prostitution or commercialized vice

  8. is or has been involved in smuggling illegal aliens into the United States

  9. is or has been a habitual drunkard

  10. is practicing or has practiced polygamy

  11. has willfully failed or refused to support dependents

  12. has given false testimony, under oath, in order to receive a benefit under the Immigration and Nationality Act.

An applicant must disclose all relevant facts to the Service, including his or her entire criminal history, regardless of whether the criminal history disqualifies the applicant under the enumerated provisions.

Please contact us for the current filing fees and our attorney fee.

   Home Page (Chinese)
   New Letters
About Us
   Our Law Office
   Our Team
   Professional Services
   Contact Us
Free Evaluations
   Cases Consultations 
Immigration Case 
   Status Check
   Processing Time
   Case Status
   Visa Bulletin 
   Civil Surgeons
Immigration News Links
Jingsong Chen's Creative   
   Selection of Short Stories
   Youthful Ages/Green Hills
   Coffee and Tea (Chinese)
Office Location
17588 Rowland St., #228, 
City of Industry, CA 91748
Tel: (626)363-7353(Office)
(626)319-7566 (24 hrs) 


                        Copyright 2007 Law Offices of Jingsong Chen All Rights Reserved Privacy Policy  Websites Designed by Xiangyang Shi